Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Encouraging Runners

Several years back, I decided to have running shirts made for my step-mom and I to wear on marathon day. On the front, I put "Go _____" and our name. This is such a fun idea because there are so many fans and volunteers who shout your name and words of encouragement. Since then, even the marathon officials have started including your name on your bib, so the fans can shout words of encouragement to each runner.

It works great & every time somebody cheers for me, it boosts me just a few more steps along the 26.2 miles. Sometime I manage a wave back to the kind fan, sometimes it's only a smile that I can eek out. Just as all the fans encouraged me, I wanted to encourage all the other runners with some scripture. I also figured writing it on my back was a great reminder to me that I had God's words behind me and I hoped the power of those words would propel me to the end.


I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

This is one of the very first verses that I memorized, and it's a great remind to myself and other runners that strength to finish any thing, no matter how great or small, comes from God's blessings and his grace. I had dozens of runners, mostly those who passed me, telling me they liked my shirt or that was a great verse.

The joy of the Lord is my strength. Nehemiah 8:10

My step-mom has this other fabulous verse on her back, which reminds both us and other runners that doing things pleasing to God is the source of our strength and energy to do those things. Not that God specifically endorses running marathons, but anytime that you do something that forces you to rely on Him, then God is glorified through your dedication and obedience.

The New Testament does however compare the Christian life ahead of each of us to a long race, that requires training and endurance and commitment. As I ran for 5 hours around Houston last Sunday, I hope I was able to witness to other runners in some small way and offer a reminder of the encouragement that we have in the God's strength and his eternal promises.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.
Hebrews 12:1

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Thank you for the encouragement!! Great ideas and wonderful scriptures! I just read in our devotional today that no matter what we do, what our career or job, we can honor God while we are doing it. You are a great example.